Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Whole Wheat Waffles


In the morning, I'm makin' waffles! 

Hmm...where have I heard that line before?

Anyways, that's what I did this morning.  Made waffles.  LOTS of them.  As in I-should-make-a-triple-batch-of-them-so-they-will-last-more-than-2-days waffle-making.  My family loves pancakes and waffles, but with a family of 5, 2 of which are hungry men (or 1 man and 1 11-yr-old), a single batch of either just doesn't last very long.  I made a batch of pancakes yesterday morning, and they were finished up this morning by myself and the two older kids before they left for school.  That left hubby and Allie with nothing to eat besides Cheerios.  So I decided to make waffles.  And I thought I would share this recipe with you since it's one of our faves!  

I am not sure how many one batch makes but I counted towards the end of my waffle-making extravaganza and I had made 16 waffles...after 2 or 3 had been eaten.  I would say that one batch in a belgian waffle maker (which is what I used) makes approxmately 6-7 waffles.  If you are using a regular waffle iron, it will probably make double that amount since they would be thinner.  

Enough of the boring stuff...here's the recipe!  

Whole Wheat Waffles

2 eggs
2 c. hard red winter wheat flour (or all-purpose flour will work, but they won't be whole wheat!)
1 3/4 c. milk
1/2 c. coconut oil (or any kind of oil)
1 T. evaporated cane juice (or sugar)
4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Preheat waffle iron.  Beat eggs in large bowl with mixer until fluffy.  Beat in the rest of ingredients.  Cook in waffle iron until desired doneness.   

2 comments:

Kim said...

Just finished making whole wheat waffles for the freezer. I love to have something healthy to eat in a hurry.

And, I just got my Money Saving Mom's Budget book this week. :) Haven't read it yet, but hopefully will get to this week. Love her website -which is where I got my whole wheat waffle recipe.

Have you tried her freezer-friendly baked oatmeal? I love it. Just put two pans of that in the freezer too.

snyderpartyof5 said...

So glad you got her book! I really liked it. And no I haven't tried her oatmeal recipe, but will have to! I am in the mood to stock my freezer with some yummy dinners! In fact, this week I am planning to make stuffed shells for the freezer, so I will have to post when I do and share the recipe! :)