Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

What I've Been Up To The Past Week or Two

There's been lots going on around here the past few weeks!  Here's a quick recap...

I didn't mention this in my last post, but I was sooooo sick last week!  It started with a scratchy throat and dry cough on Friday night and progressed from there. Each morning I would wake up feeling a bit better (not sure why, because I sure didn't sleep at night) and would do a few normal housekeeping things (like laundry, loading the dishwasher, etc) and by lunchtime/early afternoon, I was on the couch or in bed.  This chaos lasted until Thursday when I FINALLY started feeling a bit better!  I'm glad no one else in my family contracted the horrible illness because I wouldn't have wanted to see my babies going through it!

The week before I got sick, Jenny and I started training for my 3rd (and Jenny's 4th) half-marathon!  I love running half marathons in the spring because it's a great time to train for them.  After feeling like I was cooped up inside all winter, it feels soooo good to get out and run.  And because I've paid the entry fee and booked the hotel room, I'm too cheap to not follow through with it!  (It also provides a much-needed getaway with our hubbys, so that's always good motivation!)  We are both registered for the Rite Aid Cleveland Half Marathon on May 19th of this year.  We've never ran this one before and I'm excited for a change of scenery since my last 2 halfs were ran in Columbus.  The only thing I'm nervous about is what the temperature will be that day!  Last year I think it was in the 80's!  Although I think I'd rather run in 80 degree temps than rain the entire 13.1 miles!  

Anyhoo...we are now currently on Week 3 of our training.  We are following Hal Higdon's Novice 2 Training Plan and I really like it.  We are tweaking it a bit to fit our schedules and we're trying to decide if we really need to do 3 shorter runs mid-week.  Jenny seems to think we've only ever done 2 shorter runs, but I'm not sure.  I try to block training out of my head once it's over...sort of like a suppressed memory.   Here is what we've done so far:

Week 1:  3 mi, 3 mi, 5 mi
Week 2:  Because I was sick, I was only able to do the long run of 5 mi and skipped the short runs.
Week 3:  I did 3 mi this morning and will do at least a 4 miler and a 6 miler...and depending on the weather, maybe another 3 miler.

All in all training is going well.  I'll keep you posted!


No comments: