Pages

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Today's Run & Post-Run Fuel

Well, today I had to run 6 miles for this week's long run in our half marathon training.  I'm not going to lie...I was really dreading it.  I thought it was going to be really cold, but it actually was quite warm (a whopping 39 degrees).  I met up with two running buddies, Jenny & Shannon, who are also training for the Rite Aid Half-Marathon...and that makes long runs more bearable!  It's so nice to get some adult conversation in while also crossing another training run off my list!  It really is cheaper than therapy!  We completed our 6 miles in 1 hr 7 mins...and that included some faux water station breaks...which we walked "through".  Not too shabby!  I think the past two days of rest really helped me to feel ready to hit the trail running...literally!

Once I got home I took a shower and then my tummy started growling big-time, which reminded me that I needed to fuel my body after burning off 600 calories.  (Goodbye cereal from this morning!) I would love to have chocolate milk on hand for post-run fuel, however with three kids and a hubby who adore chocolate milk...I'm sure it wouldn't last long in this house!  So I opted for another great snack.  Not sure it's the proper proportions of carbs, protein, yada yada that you need following a run, but it tamed the hunger pangs and I'm sure the protein in the peanut butter was beneficial in some way.  (FYI-I'm so NOT a nutrition expert!)

Jen's Fave Snack

Put 1 Tbsp of peanut butter (I used my fave Jif Natural) in a bowl and nuk it for 30 secs.  Then slice up a banana on top of the peanut butter and add a drizzle of honey on top of the banana.  And that's it!  So simple and sooooo very delish!  And I think it's pretty healthy too!  This could seriously be eaten as dessert!

Sorry I didn't get a picture of my snack...I scarfed it down before I could take one!

Have a great Saturday! :)

No comments: