Pages

Monday, March 18, 2013

Recipe Adventure #10: Roasted Brussels Sprouts

Let me start out by saying that a few years ago, I didn't really vegetables.  I grew up on the basic ones: corn, green beans, potatoes, and occasionally peas.  And with the exception of the potatoes, they were almost always from a can.  I ate them and honestly didn't mind them, but when I became an adult and wife and mother, at some point I started wanting to broaden my horizons in the vegetable world.  I started eating salad (yes I didn't even have a salad until I was an adult) some which lead me to love fresh spinach.  Then I tried a spaghetti squash.  Then tomatoes. Then mild banana peppers and black olives (especially on my Subway Italian subs!) Then I tried the vegetable that was WAY out of my comfort zone....BRUSSEL SPROUTS.  One of my running buddies, Shannon, told me how good they are.  I was VERY skeptical.  But one day I decided to try them.  And I had to agree...they were yummy!  And the funny thing is that I actually find myself craving them from time to time.  I NEVER in a GAZILLION years thought I'd ever eat, let along CRAVE a brussel sprout!

BTW - if you don't know what brussel sprouts look like here's a pic...of a lot of them. Don't make that many...you would most likely never eat another one again if you consumed all of these.  Just sayin'. Anyways, they look like cute little baby cabbages.  But way tastier.


Here is how I make them...

Roasted Brussel Sprouts
Brussel Sprouts - any amount desired. Be forewarned that they do shrink up a bit while roasting. 
Lawry's Seasoned Salt
Olive Oil
Parmesan Cheese

*Heat oven to 450 degrees.

*Wash the brussel sprouts. Cut the stem end off of each sprout.  Then cut the sprouts into 4ths or 6ths or whatever size you want.  It also depends on the size of the sprouts.  Sometimes you can find small ones and other times they are larger.  If you get big ones, just chop them more...like in 6ths.  And FYI - I think the smaller ones have more flavor, but the big ones are good too.  

*Place the chopped sprouts on a jelly roll pan or bar pan and drizzle with olive oil.  Stir the sprouts and then drizzle some more.  

*Sprinkle with seasoned salt. Stir again.

*Bake sprouts in heated oven for 15-20 mins until some of the leaves are good and browned.  I usually set the timer for 10 mins, then stir them and bake another 10 mins.  Here are what mine looked like:


*Remove from oven and let cool a bit.  When serving, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.  

Not only do these taste yummy, but I just LOVE putting them in my cart at the store and feeling like I eat really healthy foods all the time.  Corny, I know.  

Now that I've mastered brussel sprout-eating, I wonder what vegetable I will try next!  Oh yeah...and these can be grown in gardens in Ohio too...so if you try them and like them, you can grow your own!




No comments: