Pages

Friday, March 15, 2013

Recipe Adventure #9: Luscious Lemon Lush

Wow, do I have an awesome recipe for you!  Yesterday I received my Fitness magazine in the mail.  With it was a mini-magazine designed to give readers a glimpse into a new magazine called All Recipes that will be launching soon (if it hasn't already).  I looked through it and one recipe really caught my eye:  Lemon Lush.  The moment I laid eyes on it I knew I had to try it!  And I'm so glad I did!  It was super easy to make and uses ingredients that I usually have on hand (with the exception of the lemon pudding, but I may just have to start keeping a stock in my pantry for when I get a hankering for this!!)  This is my new favorite dessert!

I would like to introduce you to my new friend, Lemon Lush....



Lemon Lush

1 c. butter
2 c. all-purpose flour
2 (8 oz) pkgs cream cheese, softened
1 c. sugar
2 (3.4 oz) pkgs instant lemon pudding mix (can substitute with1 box of vanilla) 
3 1/2 c. milk
1 container Cool Whip

Heat the oven to 350 degrees.  Softened butter a bit and mix into the flour with your hands. (or use a pastry blender).  Press the crumb mixture into the bottom of a 9x13 baking pan.  Bake for 20 mins.  Remove from oven and place on cooling rack.  Meanwhile, soften the cream cheese in the microwave.  Once softened, add the sugar and beat until well blended.  In a separate bowl, mix the pudding with the milk and whisk until well mixed.  Once the crust is cool, spread the cream cheese mixture on top of the crust.  Spread pudding on top of the cream cheese.  Spread cool whip on top of  pudding.  Chill until set....if you can wait that long!

Of course I can never just follow a recipe to the letter no matter how hard I try.  This time I only picked up ONE box of lemon pudding at the store instead of two.  (I'm not a very detail-oriented person).  So I improvised and used a box of lemon and a box of vanilla that I had in the cupboard.  I really liked it.  I was afraid that it would be too lemony but the vanilla really make the lemon flavor more subdued.  I think the all lemon version would be ultra yummy in the summer...and maybe even after freezing the dessert a bit!  Yum!  

The Verdict:  This was a hit!  The only negative comment I got was from my son who said the crust was kind of dry.  And it is, however the creaminess of the rest of the dessert makes up for it.  Hubby took a bite and said, "Mmmm!" and gave me a kiss, so I think it was a hit!  

No comments: