Pages

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

BRRR!

I just got back from my 4 mile training run with Jenny and BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR it was COLD.  We had a light coating of snow last night and I think that just makes everything feel so much colder!  I've had a lot of people who think we're plum crazy because we run outside in cold temps and ask how we do it, so I thought I'd share with you what we wear on cold days like today.  (It was 29 degrees today).  

This was what I wore for my run today:

*A pair of tight fitting boot-cut running pants.  Mine are Tek Gear brand from Kohl's and you can find the exact pair HERE  I have a black and gray pair and they are my staple pant in cooler temps.  

* A long-sleeved performance shirt.  I bought mine from Walmart for less than $10 I think.  I have several colors and they are a great base layer.  These are actually still available at Walmart currently, so if you need one...go get one!!

* A long-sleeved performance zippered jacket. I bought mine at Old Navy last year and I LOVE it.  It's tighter fitting so it holds the heat in but also has moisture-wicking so keep the moisture away from my skin.  

*A Fleece headband to keep the wind/cold out of my ears.  Usually I get too hot for it and it ends up around my neck instead, but not today!

*My running shoes paired with a thicker pair of athletic socks.  

* A pair of knit gloves from Walmart...the cheap kind that are like $1.50 for 2 pair.

As I had the items above on and actually walked out the door to head on my run, I felt really cold yet so I grabbed a fleece zippered jacket and put it on too. Before the first mile was up, I was already feeling too hot and ended up tying the fleece jacket around my waist for the next 2 miles and put it back on the last mile because the wind was blowing right in our faces.  

My rule of thumb is to dress like it's 20 degrees warmer because once you get a mile or so into your run you will feel like it is that warm.  But you also have to take into consideration the elements...wind, rain, etc.  Today the wind got the best of us and made the run feel torturous!  But we did it and it feel great to cross that run off of my training!  Also keep in mind that dressing in layers are cooler days is the way to go.  It's way better to be able to peel off a layer of clothes than to wear one heavy layer and be stuck running in it and overheating the entire time!

When I got home I did the Tank Top Workout from Monday's post.  I'm determined to get these flabby arms into shape!  There's NOTHING sexy about a 33 yr old with grandma arms that wave in the breeze.  I am happy to report that I am sore from yesterday's workout!  It feels great to be working my body and that soreness helps me to know that I'm working areas that need it!

No comments: