Pages

Monday, March 25, 2013

Recipe Adventures #13: Brownie Mix

I don't know if you've noticed but there seem to be a TON of yummy looking recipes on Facebook right now!  I can't keep up with them all and have been copying them onto recipe cards like crazy in hopes to one day make them.  

We had company over yesterday and I decided to try this one out...mainly because I was in the mood for Brownies.  This one is a recipe to make your brownie mix instead of buying the boxed ones from the store.  I  am all about eliminating boxed foods from my pantry and any time you make a recipe from scratch instead of buying it almost always saves you money.  This recipe was right up my alley!

Brownie Mix
1 c. sugar
1/2 c flour
1/3 c cocoa
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. baking powder

You can make several of these mixes ahead of time and store them in mason jars or quart-sized storage bags and have them on hand to make in a jiffy or just make the recipe as needed.

To Bake: Add 2 eggs, 1/2 c. oil, and 1 t. vanilla extract to the dry mix.  Stir well.  Spread into a greased 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 mins.


The Verdict:  These were surprisingly yummy!  The color isn't quite as dark brown as store-bought mixes so I was a little skeptical when I took it out of the oven.  But it's pretty darn close to the taste of  store-bought mixes!  This one is a keeper and I don't think I will be buying brownie mixes again!

No comments: