Pages

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Today's Workout...Total Body Workout #1

It has been a cold week in Ohio!  The high temps are only 33 degrees....brrr!  And since I'm such a wimp at running cold temps, I've dreaded doing training runs in it!  Tuesday I was a bit sore and tired feeling from Monday's workout, so I took a rest day and didn't do any exercises besides some spring cleaning in the kitchen.  Yesterday I headed out on a run with Jenny.  It was still a cold 33 degrees, but the sun was shining which always makes it feel warmer!  We still had to battle wind, and it's amazing how much running into the wind tires your legs!  After 4 miles my legs felt like jell-o!  Before and after my run I worked some more on spring cleaning my kitchen.  I also vacuumed the entire living room and moved the furniture so I could shampoo all the carpet there.  Then of course I had to reconfigure the furniture because, well....I'm female and that's what we do!

Today I was thinking of just running another 3-miler since our training plan tells us to (and we're ignoring it and only doing a total of 3 runs each week)...but once again, it's cold outside.  And once again I'm a wimp.  So...I hopped on the treadmill for a 30 mins walk.  30 mins FLY by when  you're reading!  Reading and treading really can be done simultaneously!  The only downfall to it is that my back would start to hurt from holding a book so I would have to change hands every so often.  But I found the solution!  I have a Kindle Fire and it was been such a great addition to my life!  I could bore with a list of all the reasons why, but I won't.  But I WILL tell you that I have found that you can make the print larger so that you can still read on the Kindle without having to hold it!  It has been a lifesaver!  And if I have a really good book that I'm reading I could probably tread for hours without realizing it!  It makes time go that fast. 

After treading, I did some strength training.  I've read so much about the benefits of strength training and how it really aids an speeds up the weight loss process and I'm really curious to see for myself.  

Here is what I did this morning:

Total Body Workout #1
30 minutes of walking on the treadmill @ 3.5-3.7 mph
10 Girly Push-ups
15 Donkey Kicks w/10 lb weight behind knee - each leg
10 sit-ups (not crunches...old-fashioned style!)
30 Hydrant Kicks - each leg
20 Squats holding 10 lb weights
10 Bicep Curls holding 10 lb weights
15 Tricep Kick-backs holding 8 lb weights
10 Overhead Presses holding 10 lb weights
25 Reverse Crunches
20 Scissor Abs
10 Leg Lifts with 10 lb weight - each side
15 Inner Thigh Lifts with 8 lb weight - each side
30 second Plank
10 Standing Front Lunges holding 10 lb weights - each side

All in all, I think it was a good workout.  Not too hard to where I am crying and wanting to vomit, but just enough to feel both fatigued and a bit sore!  

I have to work tomorrow so I will probably not do any working out unless I catch a quick walk on my lunch break. Then Saturday will do our 7-mile training run!  I'm curious to see what the scale says at my next weekly weigh-in on Monday!

I'm also going to try to drink 87 oz of water today/  I've read a lot about how most of us are chronically dehydrated and that makes our bodies hold onto water weight.  I guess you are supposed to shoot for drinking half of your body weight in ounces of water!  I love to drink water, but 87 oz seems like a lot!  I will let you know how I do!

I have also started a workout notebook that I'm hoping I will be consistent with.  I would like to write down my workouts that I make up (like today's) and also use it to keep track of my weekly workouts and weight-ins.  I may use it as a food journal, although I hate the thought of tracking everything I eat!

I'm off to shower and head to town for some beautification!  I'm getting a haircut and maybe even some highlights!  Woot!

Happy Thursday!! 


No comments: