Pages

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Recipe Adventures #18: Cinnamon Roll Swirl Cake

I tried a new recipe over the weekend.  And tried it out on my small groupies to see how they liked it.  They loved it and the entire pan was gone by the time they all left!  So I guess it was good!  I had a small piece and thought it was VERY sweet.  I'm not sure if my family's tastes are changing a bit since we are trying to limit/eliminate our refined sugar intake because no one else complained of it being too sweet.  So you will just have to make it and decide for yourself!  Next time I make it I will definitely cut back on the use of evaporated cane juice that I put in it in place of sugar.  



I found this recipe on Andrea's Country Cooking Facebook Page.  It doesn't look like she has an actual website to go to, so here is the recipe (with the changes that I made):


CINNAMON ROLL SWIRL CAKE

BATTER:
3 cup flour ( I used ground hard red winter wheat flour)
1/4 tsp salt (I used sea salt)
1 cup sugar (I used evaporated cane juice)
4 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup butter, melted

Topping:
1 cup butter, soft to the point of almost melted*
1 cup brown sugar (I used sucanat)
2 Tbsp flour
2 Tbsp cinnamon

In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients together except for the butter.
Once mixed; slowly pour in the butter. Stir into batter.
Pour into a greased 9x13 pan.
For the topping, mix all the ingredients together until well combined.
Drop evenly over the batter and swirl with a knife.
Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.

Glaze:
2 cup powdered sugar
5 Tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla

While the cake is warm ~ drizzle the glaze over the cake. 


No comments: