Pages

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Recipe Adventures # 14: Frosty Protein Shake

A friend of mine pinned this recipe on Pinterest and I thought it sounded like a great recipe to add to my post-run fuels, so I gave it a try.  I made 2 mistakes when I made this...

1.  I made it when the kids where home.  So when they asked what I was making and I told them something that tasted like a Wendy's Frosty, they were all jacked up asking if they could have one.  For some reason every time they see me getting out the blender they know I'm making a smoothie of some sort and rush to ask if they can have one.

2.  I didn't add enough sweetener.  I was going gung-ho-healthy at that particular moment and didn't want to add any unnecessary calories.  Let me tell you, those calories were indeed necessary! 


Here is the original recipe and what I actually used is in parentheses...


Frosty Protein Shake
3/4 c. almond milk (6 oz of whole milk)
15 ice cubes (maybe used 13 ice cubes)
1 scoop vanilla protein powder (same)
1-2 Tbsp. cocoa (2 Tbsp)
Sweetener of choice - 1/4 frozen banana or stevia  (I used 1/4 banana, not frozen)

Give it all a whirl in your blender and enjoy!  Providing you like the taste.

The Verdict:  I didn't like this.  It didn't taste very sweet at all.  To me it tasted like chocolate water.  BLECK.  I actually happily handed my cup over to the kids who were ecstatic about it...until they tasted it.  Then they decided to add extra evaporated cane juice (yes, my kids are smart) to it and said it was awesome.  Not sure I believe them.  Since I had the blender out and my heart set on a chocolatey smoothie, I opted for my Chocolate Banana PB Protein Smoothie instead and thoroughly enjoyed it!  (You can find the recipe HERE.  

No comments: