Pages

Thursday, April 11, 2013

My Post-Indulgent Birthday Workout

Who wants to work out on their birthday?  Don't get me wrong, I actually do like to work out, but it's the last thing I think of doing on my birthday!  But with birthdays come unhealthy eating.  And in my case that means fried chicken, mashed potatoes, gravy, rolls, cake, ice cream, chocolates, pizza, and garlic bread!  Oh yeah...and I can't forget my bowl of cereal with milk I had for breakfast!  Ha!  I don't even want to think about how many calories were consumed today...but hey, I only have a birthday once a year, right?

Hubby and I spent the day shopping in Amish Country.  Seriously, that is the last place my husband normally wants to spend the day...mainly because of all of the tourists and horrible traffic.  Today both were minimal so it was actually nice to enjoy our own county without having to share it with tourists and quirks!

We started off by going to a couple of stores that sell outdoor patio tables.  I really want to get one that is made from a poly material that will hold up in the weather and won't need to be replaced for 20 years.  With that, comes a hefty price...OUCH.  All that shopping made us work up an appetite so we headed to a local Amish restaurant for lunch.  I had a hankerin' for fried chicken, so that's what I got...along with the mashed potatoes & gravy.  I opted for green beans instead of noodles as my second side dish. (can you say CARBS?)  However, I was so enraptured with my fried chicken and potatoes and rolls (complete with that yummy gooey Amish peanut butter) that I was stuffed and had completely forgotten about the beans.  So they went uneaten. After that we went next door to the Amish Bakery and bought an apple pie and a raspberry cream pie.  (Btw - it is way cheaper to buy a whole pie than to pay for 2 slices at the restaurant.  It was $2.99 per slice and we got 2 whole pies for $14!)  

After that we did some more shopping, then headed home.  When I got home, my mom and sister were here.  With a cake.  And strawberry swirl ice cream.  So I had some.  It's rude to not eat a bday cake someone has bought for you, right?  It was good but boy was I stuffed!  We visited for awhile and the kiddos started complaining that they were hungry.  It was 7:30 and we hadn't eaten dinner.  And I really didn't want to make dinner.  So we ordered pizza.  Hubby offered to make the drive to pick up the pizza and I decided to hop on the treadmill for a quick workout.  I still needed to do a 3 mile run this week and was totally planning to complete the 3 miles before hubby came home.  But since it's only a 10 minute drive to town, that didn't happen.  I also wanted to incorporate something else with the running for some interval training.  So I decided to to burpees.  I hate burpees.  My plan was to split the run into 1/4 mile increments (at a 5.5-6.0 mph) and then do burpees in between starting with 12 and then counting down to 1 by the end of the 3 miles.  I ended up doing only 1.5 miles and a total of 57 burpees.  I'm totally proud of that 57!!  That's a lot of burpees!!  I'm anxious to see if I'll be sore from them tomorrow!

After my workout, I consumed some pizza and garlic bread.  And now, as the kids are heading to bed, hubby is cracking open the raspberry cream pie.  So I must indulge.  Tomorrow is a new day....my un-birthday...which means I'll be jumping back on to the bandwagon of healthier living...no more special treatment & over-indulging! 

No comments: