Pages

Friday, July 13, 2012

A New Me

I'm ready for a change.  I know, I know, I've said it a MILLION times.  I have slacked off somewhat with my exercising (not working out as often or at as high of an intensity) and I've pretty much eaten whatever I wanted.  But the number on the scale is going up...only a few pounds, but UP on the scale is NEVER a good thing...unless of course you weight 100 lbs. 

In November of 2009 I decided to make a change.  I was 185 lbs...and the thought of eventually reaching 200 lbs what terrifying!  I decided to lose weight and get healthy.  And by summer of 2010 I had lost 15 lbs.  And I felt great.  Then I'm not sure what happened.  I started training for a half marathon and then another and here I am 2 yrs later and at 180 lbs.  THAT was not in my plan!  So now I have to take a good look at my eating and exercising and figure out where I need to make adjustments in order to get back on track.

I chatted briefly today with a lady I used to go to church with about her recent weight loss.  She decided in January that she wanted to lose 50 lbs..and as of today, she's lost 36!  Yes, I'm envious.  It's so humbling to hear of someone who has succeeded at losing more weight than me in a way shorter amount of time.  I always think to myself, "Wow.  Had I just buckled down and given it my all, I should have already reached my goal weight and I wouldn't be stressing about the scale right now and feeling defeated."  Anyways, I asked this friend what changes she has been making regarding her eating.  She said she had a friend (who runs marathons!) who became her accountability partner.  They exchanged passwords for myfitnesspal.com...now that's serious!  Anyways, her friend challenged her to not eat any bread, pasta, rice, or potatoes for 2 weeks.  So she took the challenge and did it.  And she said after that she never looked back.  And now, 6 months later, she is drawn to those fruits and veggies and lean meats.  That's what I want.  To naturally crave something other than a cookie or chips or bread!

Her story and success has inspired me to take a look at my own life.  Thinking back to when I had lost that 15 lbs, my strategy in regards to eating is unclear.  I do remember that I worked out.  I remember walking...alot.  Then eventually running.  The one thing that sticks out in my mind back then was DETERMINATION.  I was DETERMINED to reach this goal.  And I got almost halfway there...then I became complacent I guess.

With that being said, today is a new day.  I'm going to start counting calories again.  I am going to TRY to weigh in and post my weight each Monday so you can keep up with my progress.  And I would ideally like to post what I'm eating and my calorie intake for the day and my workouts, etc.  I say TRY because I don't want it to be a daunting task..and I don't want to feel like a failure if I don't get it posted.  I also think I'm going to give my accountibility partner my password to myfitnesspal.com so she can see exactly what I've been eating.  We check in nightly and let each other know our failures and successes for the day, but this will allow her to see exactly what I'm eating each day.  (YIKES)  I'm also going to think ahead with my eating and have a plan.  For example, tonight I know my family is going out for pizza.  So I need to have a plan of how many pieces I will eat...and how many calories that will be.  And if I'm going to go over my intake for the day, then I need to make sure I do some extra working out today.  I also need to be aware of temptations.  I kid you not, as I started typing this blog, I see my hubby carrying a box from the garage and I know it's a box from the local parts store.  A thank you gift for buying parts.  It's a box of doughnuts.  I have a choice to make.  I could either say "Yay! Doughnuts!"  and indulge without another thought.  Or I could look up the calorie content of just one doughnut...then decide against having one...especially since I'm not hungry right now.  (I'm picking Choice #2 by the way)

So...here's what I need you to do...keep me accountable!  Send me an email or a text and ask me how I'm doing, if I've exercised today, etc.  I don't mind, I promise!  And most importantly, pray for me.  This has been a struggle of mine for the past 10 years and I'd love to overcome it once and for all.  Pray that I have strength to overcome temptations, wisdom to make good choices, and that depression would not present itself to me (like it has this week) and fill my head with self-destructing thoughts.  Pray that I will lean on God when I feel the urge to overeat or not workout.  Pray that God would show me balance regarding this weight loss so it doesn't become an idol in my life.  Pray that my success story and even this blog can help others who are struggling so they too can experience true freedom and self-control in Christ!  Can you do that for me?  I knew I could count on you.

No comments: