Pages

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Whispers In The Midst of Chaos

I have had a stressful past few days.  I had 2 stressful and busy days at work last week.  I had my parents over for a Thanksgiving meal last week.  I celebrated my son's 13th birthday (yes, your prayers are appreciated!)with a party at our house and the guest list included all 4 sets of our parents (both mine and my hubby's parents are divorced and remarried)...and they all came!  Don't get me wrong, I am happy they all came, but this was a first for us and let's just say there was some tension and anxiety because they don't all get along.  A few days ago my dryer stopped blowing hot air which making drying clothes a looong process.  (Even on the line...in the winter...in Ohio)  The kids have been nuts and fighting like crazy and I feel as if I have been demoted to the position of referee.  My hubby also started his winter shift at work, which means I am home alone with the kids and their fighting all evening.  Then yesterday I realize that there was a $1,172.12 charge on our checking account that did not belong to us so I spent the morning calling the bank, the Apple store, and filing a police report. 
 
I have been a bit stressed.  Today I got to thinking about stress.  Why do we allow ourselves to get stressed about events in our lives?  We do this because WE are trying to control our universe instead of letting the one who created the universe be in control.  All these things we stress about are out of our control.  Through all of the chaos, God is whispering to us "Be still and know that I am God..." (Psalm 46:10) but are we able to hear him through all of the noise swirling around in our head when we are stressed?  I haven't been able to hear the whispers.  But today I did.  Not only did he tell me to calm down but to also KNOW, not hope, that He is God and will take care of me, but KNOW it without a shadow of a doubt.  When we truly KNOW that, our stress seems to melt away. 
 
So when you are faced with a busy day at work....Be still and know that He is God.
 
When you are at home with your fighting kids and are counting the minutes until your hubby gets home and can relieve you of your duties....Be still and know that He is God.
 
When someone halfway across the country or perhaps even the world decided to steal your debit card number and buy themselves 2 iPhones, taking the money you were planning to use to pay your house payment....Be still and know that He is God. 
 
God is in control.  Stop stressing and looking at all the negative things that are happening and focus on the positives and stop to actually recognize how God is working it out. 
 
I pray you all remember this and have a great NON-stressful day today!

No comments: