Pages

Sunday, November 17, 2013

What was I thinking??

So my last post filled you in on my commitment to keep my house clean and organized, right?  Well, I started with the kitchen yesterday.  And since it's hasn't been thoroughly (as in get out the toothbrush, mama!) cleaned, I decided to roll up my sleeves and get down and dirty.  I should add that I am reading an ebook that tells you step by step how to clean each room in your house.  As in what order to clean things (from ceiling to floor) and with what products (natural of course!).  So the book said to start with the trash can, so that's what I did.  First of all...ICK!  It's my opinion that the trash can should be last because once you've cleaned and disinfected the trash you are a bit grossed out!  Or maybe it's motivated to keep going since you've seen firsthand how nasty things have become?  Hmmm...it's a toss up, I think. 

So back to cleaning...I then started with removing everything, I mean everything from the cabinets.  Now, I was smart (if I do say so myself) and only did half of the cabinets.  But half of my cabinets is equal to most people's total cabinet space...so it's really like I have to clean 2 kitchens.  Anyways, out everything came and then I cleaned the inside with my Mr. Clean all-purpose cleaner (which I really like, by the way).  That part felt good.  Honestly I didn't really want to put anything back...I was ready to pack it all up and haul it off to Goodwill.  But then I would have empty cabinets so I decided to just save myself some money (from buying things to fill them up again) and keep my stuff.  I did however find a couple of bowl I never use and I'm giving a glass Pyrex dish to a friend who said she would use it.  I forgot to mention that I also cleaned out all the drawers!  A funny thing happens when you start doing that...you realize how much of it belongs somewhere else in your home.  For example I had 2 junk drawers...and one of which is going to be rehomed to the laundry room.  Which freed up a drawer...yippee!  I decided to use it to keep my ever-growing pile of papers that land on the counter and make it look cluttered.  We'll see how well it works...

After I cleaned out all the cabinets, I then put things back.  And moved things around.  So now I giggle when hubby goes to the "snack cupboard" to get a snack and finds our glass leftover containers instead.  It's like a scavenger hunt to find the snacks.  Honestly I still don't know where I put everything, but hopefully it will end up more efficient in the long haul!

Well, I need to get my family up for church this morning so I will end with saying that I was able to get the one side of my kitchen completely clean and I'm really dreading the other half!  lol  However, once you get started, it's a bit addicting to tackle the grime and rid your house of stuff you never use!  Sorry I didn't take any pictures...I will try to remember to next time!  Oh yeah, and I was so exhausted that I went to bed at 8:30pm last night!  Ha!

Happy Cleaning! :)

No comments: