Monday, April 30, 2012

LIFE Update

The last couple of weeks have been quite eventful!  The chaos started when I had to take my son to the doctor because he was complaining for a sore throat...and tested positive for strep.  That very night my daughters started saying that their throats hurt too.  So back to the doctor we went the very next day.  One daughter tested positive and one negative.  Afterwards we headed to Stuff Mart to pick up their prescription.  When we got there, they had no record of it, but the pharmacy worker assured me that was normal and to check back in 10 mins.  I checked back 3 more times (or maybe 4)...and after 50 mins of waiting for the prescription to show up on their computer (and our shopping trip becoming more and more expensive with the things we were throwing in the cart, I made a call to the doctor's office.  When the doctor told me he was sending the Rx to Stuff Mart he apparently didn't mean the local one...but the one 40 mins away (but also closer to my home).  So our Rx was in the neighboring town, and off we went.  Luckily we were able to get the Rx fairly quickly.  

Little did I know that our medical issues wouldn't stop there.  A few days later my son called my husband (I was in town getting groceries, etc) to tell him he had fallen in gym class and hit his head.   I stopped by the school on my way home to check in on him.  As he was telling me the story of how he hit his head, and then "woke up", it was evident that we were going to be heading to seek some more medical attention!  So off to the ER we went, and after being checked out and having a CT scan, the doctor concluded that he did in fact have a concussion, but there was not bruising or bleeding on his brain. (Thank you Lord!)  He was home from school for 2 days to recover.  This whole experience opened my eyes to how serious concussions can be.  We were told to follow up with our pediatrician, which we did a week later.  He explained what happens when you hit your head hard in a bit more detail so we could understand it.  More or less, our brain cells are not connected to its neighboring brain cells.  There is a gap between them...sort of like a spark plug gap.  When the head suffers trauma, it causes everything to shift which can throw off the spacing of the gap.  The effects of that gap being off are the inability to focus, see, dizziness, etc.  Evan had all the symptoms on the list except for seizures (Again, thank you, Lord!)  After I had picked him up from school that day, he was telling me that he was having a hard time focusing on anything.  When he would read in his school book, he would see one word, but not others.  Anyhoo...the pediatrician said that it usually takes 2-4 weeks for people with concussions to fully recover and not experience anymore symptoms! 

So that concludes our medical emergencies saga...stay tuned for more...because with kids they seem to always pop up!  Just today, I saw a bump near Allie's armpit that looks suspiciously like a chicken pox.  So we are going to wait this one out and see what happens....

This week I'm trying not to freak out.  This is one BUSY week!  I woke up this morning, did my devo, then started filling in my daily-to-do list (I will post more of this later, but I think it's going to revolutionize my life!) and realized that something has got to give OR I am going to need to be extremely organized in order to survive this week!  So I skipped the gym this morning since I feel like once I drive the 20 mins there, workout for 1.5 hrs, head to Stuff Mart to drop the deposit off at the bank and get groceries (before even having a meal plan worked out!  Bad idea, by the way...) it's almost noon by the time I get home.  So that gives me enough time to take a shower and eat lunch before Allie gets off the bus.  Then I have to head out to the garage to get some bookkeeping done for hubby's business.  And the rest of the day flies by in an haphazard fashion.  It gets old real quick.  Where was I?  Oh yeah...I skipped the gym and decided to go for a solo 2-mile run after I got Allie on the bus.  It was nice.  I had a great pace, ran all the hills without walking, and worked up a sweat...all in 20 mins!  I got something accomplished and saved's a win-win!  So I still have half of my morning left to do whatever!  Not really whatever...but something on my to-do list!  I love feeling organized! 

This weekend is the Cap City Half Marathon in Columbus, which is one HUGE reason why I'm feeling a bit stressed.  There is lots of packing, researching (parking, directions, etc), and planning to do before we leave on Friday afternoon.  But I will write about my training experience this week (hopefully!) now that I'm not spending every waking moment running in order to get ready for it!

With that being said, I need to get off this computer and get my shower done! 

No comments: