Pages

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

How's Your Running Going?

Well, I have had a busy last couple of weeks, but honestly, when aren't they busy?  It's like the days just fly by and it's a real struggle to remain intentional in my living instead of just flying by the seat of my pants (which happens most often). 
 
After the busyness of last week, I have to admit I was feeling very optimistic about this week since I have 3 days off from work.  My cleaning schedule sort of fell by the wayside last week and I was in survival mode just to get the laundry done and food on the table.  So where some people cringe at the thought of MONDAY, I sort of get excited because it's like a new chance to get my act together each week!  Ha!  I know, I know, I'm sick. 
 
Yesterday I got out of bed with renewed energy and ready to get to work in my house.  Then my daughter got up saying she didn't feel good...and she still had a rash.  She woke up Saturday morning with a mysterious rash on her arms and torso.  Along with the rash, she was saying her belly hurt and she had a headache.  And her throat hurt when she coughed.  I did some research online and sort of narrowed it down to Fifth's Disease...for which there is no treatment and since the rash is evident, she was no longer contagious.  However, my mom-worrying took over and I was feeling the need to rule out that it wasn't Strep.  So off to the doctor we went.  And the strep test came back negative.  And the doctor said it was Fifth's.  So I was feeling a little frustrated that I had spent the whole day (ok, not the whole day, but a good portion of the day) driving to and from the doctor.  So I didn't get as much accomplished as I would have liked....but I was able to get the bed sheets washed, so progress is progress, right? 
 
Today I got up and got everyone off to school and work, ate my breakfast, and sat down to read out of my new devotional I am reviewing, "Living Life Undaunted" by Christine Caine.  My spiritual life has sort of been on hold as the rest of my life has been crazy.  I hate to admit that, but it's true.  So today I decided that I wanted to once again focus on having a time of devotion and prayer daily.  The devotion I read today really hit home with me because it pertained to running.  I would like to share the devotion with you...
A Designated Lane
 
Do you not know that in a race all the runner run, but only one gets the prize?  Run in such a way as to get the prize. 
1 Corinthians 9:24
 
God has a plan for our lives even before we were born.  He had a lane marked out on the track of life with our name on it and a specific race for us to run.  God has plucked each one of us out of eternity, positioned us in a certain place in time, and given us special gifts and talents for the purpose of serving our generation.  There are certain things he wants us to achieve while we are on this side of eternity.
 
When we stand before God on day, we will have to give an account of what we did with our lives.  God will want to know what we did with the time he gave us, what we did with the talents he gave us, and what we did with the treasure he placed in our hands. 
Therefore, it's imperative that we all ask ourselves these questions:
 
* Where am I in my race of life?
*Am I running my race in my lane pressing on for the prize that God has for me?
*Am I crawling along somewhere, stumbling and tripping, not really knowing where I'm going?
*Am I running in my lane but distracted because I'm looking around to see how others are doing?
*Am I envying how others are running their races and what lane God has placed them in?
*Am I collapsed somewhere along the way, because discouragement, disillusionment, and disappointment have caused me to stop running?
*Have I become a spectator who sits in the grandstands watching the race I should be running?
*Have I been sidelined by a sin that has left me feeling guilt and shame?
*How can I get back in the race, ready to run and win?
 
Moment of Reflection
 
Are you confidently running in the lane God has purposed for your life?
 
 
Like I said, this devotion hit home with me.  As I read the beginning verse, I was stuck on the last part...run in such a way as to get the prize.  If you have never ran in a race before, this probably doesn't mean much to you.  But for those of you who have, you understand what it takes to run in such a way to get the prize.  It takes a whole lot of effort on your behalf.  It's more than just running the race for fun.  It's serious.  To win, it's going to take pain.  Sweat.  Perseverance.  Determination.  And supernatural strength.  You see, it's easy to run a race knowing that you aren't going to win the prize.  You don't push yourself as hard as you could and you can relax a bit and just enjoy the race.  But to win, you have to focus on the finish line and run with all you've got. 
 
And that is how God wants us to run in the race of LIFE.  Not that we can't enjoy the race.  But we have to be determined to run the race well, using the talents he's given us, keeping our eyes fixated on the finish line. 
 
As I read through the questions in the devotion, I felt convicted because I haven't been running the race well.  I've let the busyness of life get in the way and cloud my view of the finish line.  I want to do better.  To be better.  It's time to lace up my running shoes and get into my designated lane. Will you join me? 

No comments: