Pages

Monday, June 4, 2012

Back to Square One

I have been so disgusted with myself lately.  My eating has been terrible horrendous and I haven't been working out as hard as I'd like to.  After a week of all 3 kiddos being home and sort of winging meals (I REALLY need to get back on a meal plan that I actually stick to!), and a weekend camping trip complete with overeating junk, the scale screamed 180 lbs at me this morning. 
One Hundred Eighty Pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
And honestly, I knew it would be bad.  I can just tell when my body has packed on the weight...and 5 lbs is enough to make me feel sluggish and for my pants to get tight around the waist.  Not to mention I dont' feel good physically since eating all that crap.  I have had a tummy ache the last two mornings and I know that's what it's from.  I'm so frustrated with myself!  When I started losing weight 2.5 yrs ago, my starting weight was 185.  And here I am at 180.  Now granted, I know it's the week before Aunt Flo will come for her monthly visit, which means I'm most likely retaining water (which usually amounts to 5lbs), so maybe it's not as bad as I thought.  However, I'm ready to get this weight off.  I don't like the way I feel...and I'm sure not liking how fluffy I'm looking these days.  So...I'm back to square one. I started running the race to weight loss, only to find myself back at the starting line.  But I'm determined to finish the the race this time!

Over the weekend (as I was eating unhealthily fire-side) I was reading Jillian Michael's book, Making The Cut, which is a guide for how to lose the last 10-20 lbs.  I had read it before, but thought I'd pick it up again to see if I could glean any new knowledge from it.  In the book there is a test to see what your metabolic type is and I found out I'm a balanced oxidizer.  Honestly, I have no clue what that means...I'm thinking that I digest proteins and carbs at the same rate...but don't quote me on it.  Anyways, she said balanced oxidizers should have a diet that consists of 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat. And that I should eat carbs and protein together for every meal and snack. I really didn't know what to do with this new-found info, so this morning I've been doing some research on meal ideas and such.  Mainly each meal needs to have 1 serving of bread/rice/ or a starchy carb, 1 serving of fat (like olive oil or butter), 3-4 oz of protein and a serving of either a veggie or fruit.  Easy enough, right?  Well, I'll let you know how today goes.  

I also learned (through a quite lengthy mathematical equation) what my basal metabolic rate (BMR) is.  Mainly, it's how many calories your body would burn if you sat on the couch all day.  For me, that number is 1580 (based on the 175 lbs I THOUGHT I weighed at the time).  So mainly, if I consumed 1580 calories each day I would maintain my weight.  If I want to lose weight, I need to each less than 1580...so my daily calorie intake is 1380 each day.  I'm not sure how much of a weight loss this would bring each week, but I guess I'm going to focus on actually counting those dreaded cals first, then tweak the number as needed.  I also can add in the calories I burn during workouts, however I'm not sure if I will.  I may only add some in if it was a really hard workout where extra fuel is needed.  For my workouts, I plan to take 3-4 mile walks, 3-4 mile runs, and go to the gym twice a week.  I would also like to incorporate some strength training and core exercises here at home on my days off from the gym.  But I can't overdo it and make a mile-long list of my eating and working out guidelines or I will become overwhelmed, so I'm going to just do those when I think about it.

So there's the plan.  I pray that I can stick to it and see results.  Once I do, I'm sure the motivation will keep me going.  Right now I just want to see results...because it's been a long time since I have had any!   Wish me luck! 

No comments: