Pages

Monday, June 4, 2012

Day 1 Recap

Well, I'm not sure if today was a success or not.  It was one CRAZY day.  I woke up feeling icky.  Not sure why, but my lower back and lower abdomen were achy until after lunchtime.  I ate some Cream of Wheat with some apple butter stirred in and a scrambled egg-potato mixture leftover from camping.  After that I headed to a fruit farm to pick strawberries so I could make some jam.  I made some a couple of months ago, but I made it the healthy way with very little sugar and it turned out really runny and didn't taste all that great either.  So this time I'm going to make it the normal sugar-laden way (I know...shame on me).  Anyways, I got there and I had two options for picking...one was to pick in the patch where there were lots of berries, but they were all small, but very sweet...and the other was to pick in the patch where the berries were bigger, but very scarce and not as sweet.  Since I let my helpers sleep in and I was picking solo, I opted for the smaller berries.  I started picking.  And picking.  And kept picking.  And still hadn't filled the containers I had brought!  I think I picked for 2.5 hrs and only picked 11 qts.  I was becoming increasingly uncomfortable and finally just gave up.  I wasn't in the mood for a strawberry treasure hunt and my back was killing me.  While I was at the fruit farm, I bought two blueberry bushes and 2 red raspberry bushes. 

After I left the berry patch I had my mid-morning snack.  I actually planned ahead and brought my carb & protein snack of pretzel rods and a slice of cheese.  Didn't get the chance to figure up the calorie count for my snack, but you'll understand why when you're done with this post, so keep reading.  I was just starting to get hungry and I was actually an hour past snack time (10:30...4 hrs after breakfast), so my cream of wheat held me over better than expected! 

Then I headed to the Nickles Thrift Store Bakery to pick up some bread.  If you've never been there, it's wonderful!  I used to go there and spend about $13 for enough bread, buns, english muffins, and bagels for a month and stick them in the freezer until I needed them.  I haven't been to Wooster (where the store is located) very often lately, so I jumped at the thought to stop by.  I was able to pick up 5 loaves of 12 grain and whole wheat bread for just under $6...and I filled up my punch card and was able to snag a package of cherry donut thingies for free! 

Next stop was Aldi to pick up some produce and just look around.  I hadn't been to an Aldi store for awhile and have been contemplating going there to get groceries since it seems that I spend more at Stuff Mart...and their prices just keep increasing.  I was able to pick up 3 boxes of cereal, a container of yogurt, 2 pkgs of mushrooms, 1 pkg of tomatoes, 1 bag of baby carrots, 4 cans of cream-of-whatever soup, a bag of chex mix, and a bag of apples along with some other things I'm sure I'm forgetting for around $24.  Oh yeah, and I got a pineapple.  They had phenomenal prices of produce!  I got the mushrooms for .59ish each and the pineapple for $1.29 and it was Dole!  I was excited to grab some good deals and check out their prices on other items for future shopping reference.  

After I left Aldi, I stopped by a children's clothing consignment store.  I had dropped off some kid's clothes probably 6 months ago and never found out how much of a credit I received.  The owner told me I had a $19 credit!  So I was able to pick up 2 pairs of swimming trunks for Evan, a pair of pants and a shirt for Kailyn, and a pair of jeans and a shirt for Allie. Both of the girl's outfits can be used for school this fall. I also got a pair of Sketchers for Kailyn that looked brand new!  Just before I went to the counter to check out, the computer shut down and she couldn't do the transaction.  I told her to call me if it the problem was resolved soon since I would be in town for a little while longer and if not, I would pick them up next Wed when I take Kailyn for her physical.  She literally called me 5 mins later as I was pulling into the next store's parking lot and said it was working again.

I went to Kohl's to use my $10 off and $20 Kohl's Cash.  I found a pair of nice jeans for Evan for under $9 and a shirt and cami for me and after my credits, I spent just $4.68.  While I was there and attempting to exit the fitting room, I pinched my thumb and it started bleeding.  That was definitely a highlight.  (not)

Then I headed to Elder Beerman to exchange a pair of shorts for Evan.  Then back to the clothing store to complete the transaction.  When I got there, there was a note on the door saying the owner would be back in 20 mins.  So as I waited I ate 2 of the cherry rolls for my lunch and vowed that I wouldn't eat anything else for lunch when I got home.  The clerk came back and after my $19 credit, I owed $2.70 out of pocket!  Not too shabby!

Then I headed to Millersburg to Stuff Mart to pick up a rx for hubby and drop off the deposit at the bank. I also picked up some items to make my chore chart that I'd devised for the kids.  As always, I spent too much there.  

When it was all said and done, I didn't get home until 3:30...and I was planning to be home by noon!  It seemed as if everything took longer than normal and I was just mentally worn out.  

So I was tired and stressed.  And when I get tired and stressed, I get lazy.  When I get lazy, I just eat out of boredom without any thought as to what I'm eating.  So I did good eating wise today until I got home and that's where it ended.  Not that I ate horrible things...just too much I think.  And I never did get a workout in.  I put away all my goods I bought today, made the chore chart, and made dinner.  Afterwards, Allie and I weeded the mint patch, and planted the blueberry and raspberry bushes.  It wasn't a horrible day, but just taxing, but I was able to realize what triggers me to eat, so hopefully I can avoid those things tomorrow!      

No comments: