Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Fast is OVER!

I think these were the longest 10 days of my life....really.  I realized just how much I enjoy food.  And how much food controlled my thoughts and actions.  And how it's so easy to make not-so-healthy food choices.  Every time I would think to myself, "what should I have for lunch?" I list of things would go through my head...most of which were Daniel-No-No's.  I realized just how much I tasted and sampled on a normal day.  And I'm sure those calories really added up.  It has also taught me that having roasted sweet potato fries are GOOD.  REALLY GOOD.  And it's perfectly acceptable to eat them only for dinner.  Or lunch.  Or heck even for breakfast (I didn't do that, I promise!).  Who says you HAVE to have a big serving of meat, with a bit smaller serving of carbs, with a teeny portion of veggies for fruits?  I know what you're thinking:  "What?  No meat at a meal?"  I know it sounds insane, but you should try it sometime.  We, as Americans, eat way too much meat.  In most other countries, meat is a side dish.  Can you imagine?  We are so incredibly blessed in this country to have the abundance of meat we do.  But with that abundance, comes taking it for granted.  Or the fact that we have an abundance of fruits and veggies here too!  For a few dinners and lunch I had those beloved sweet potato fries (equivalent to 2 sweet potatoes)...and that was it.  That was my meal.  Did I starve?  Nope!  In fact, I was pleasantly satisfied.  But if I were to serve my family only sweet potato fries for dinner, you'd probably see my face on the 10 o'clock News.  First of all, their faces would look something like this:




Yet, I could take them through the Drive-Thru for a Giddy-Meal and I would considered a good parent.  You don't have to be a genius to see the oxymoron in that situation.  Our society as a whole doesn't know how to cook or eat healthy.  Or if they do, they really don't care to.  Period.   I think it's sad.

Ok, I'm stepping down off of my soapbox.  I know you're relieved. 

The funny thing is that just because I'm officially off the fast now, I don't really crave those things I used to eat.  Or if I do, I eat one and I'm satisfied.  I feel like my taste buds have been wiped clean and I can truly taste the flavors of foods now.  Everything tastes different compared to prior to the fast.  I have more self-control, which is awesome.  I was really lacking it pre-fast. 

And the best part is that I've lost 5 lbs!  I want to stick with this momentum and keep going with it.  No, I will not be converting to a vegan lifestyle.  However, I will be more vegetarian-like than ever.  I will try my best to not have meat for lunch and dinner, but only once a day.  I will limit my dairy intake.  And I will continue to strive towards consuming more fruits and veggies.  And maybe...eventually...I'll get the hubster and the rest of the family on board.  (Minus the cow suits of course, and with REAL veggies, not grass)


This morning I woke up and had cream of wheat for breakfast, just like if I were still on the fast!  Except I used cow milk instead of oat milk.  And I used a little rapadura instead of Polaner All-Fruit to sweeten it.  I actually didn't even sweeten it as much as I would normally either. And I enjoyed every bite.  I would normally have a glass of milk with my cream of wheat, but today I didn't.  For lunch, I'm thinking sweet potato fries.  I think I have a new addiction to content with.  But I guess it's a good one, huh? 

I have to admit my focus did from the spiritual to the physical with this fast.  To that I am ashamed.  I was excited to get up each morning and hop on the scale to see what the new number was.  When I should have been exctied to get up and meet with God.  I still have room for improvement in that area of my life.  Even though I didn't have this amazing spiritual breakthrough necessarily, I do believe that God used this fast to teach me many things about food...and how it had become an idol in my life.  I now view food as FUEL.  Do I think all food should taste bland?  Not at all.  However, I now know that I need to limit those foods so that I don't reach that point again.  Food's purpose is to fuel our bodies so that we can health and energy to fulfill God's calling in our lives.  We need to be aware of how food can start to fulfill those areas in our lives where only the Lord should be doing the fulfilling.   

No comments: